DATA PRIVACY NOTICE
Go! Sign (Christian Deaf Link UK)
Go! Sign needs to use information to support the mission and growth of the Christian Message among the Deaf Community. We use the personal data which you have given us for this.
This privacy notice is required by the Data Protection Regulations introduced in May 2018, to let individuals know about the personal data that ‘Go! Sign’ holds, how it is used and the reasons for this. This privacy notice is intended to make it easier for you to find out how we use and protect your information.
We want to be clear about how we use your personal data. We are a charity and have legal obligations that require us to process personal data of individuals e.g. Trustees, employees, subscribers, donors and volunteers etc.
The information in this document will not apply to every individual involved with the Go! Sign organisation, but having all the information in one place that covers a variety of different aspects of how data might be used is felt to be more useful.
This notice does not change how we use/process your data, but rather to ensure that what data we hold and how we use it is done correctly and protects an individual’s privacy. The British Deaf Association has a useful video in BSL that gives a general explanation about the new GDPR regulations mean for you (https://bda.org.uk/gdprwhat-is-it/)
1. Your personal data – what is it?
‘Personal data’ is any information about a living individual which allows them to be identified from that data. E.g. name, photograph, videos, email address, address etc.
Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession.
The processing of personal data is governed by the Data Protection Bill/Act 2017 the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”) and other legislation relating to personal data and rights such as the Human Rights Act 1998.
2. Who are we?
‘Go! Sign’ is the data controller (contact details below), which means it decides what data is held and how that data is processed and for what purposes.
3. How do we process your personal data?
Go! Sign complies with its obligations under the “GDPR” by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your personal data for the following purposes: -
- To enable us to provide a voluntary service for the benefit of the public as set out in our constitution;
- To administer membership, attendance at events, financial and donor records;
- To fundraise and promote the interests of the charity;
- To manage our employees, volunteers and contractors e.g. external agents such as Stewardship who manage payroll and other services on our behalf.
- To process a grant or application.
- To maintain our own accounts and records (including the processing of Gift Aid applications);
- To inform you of news, events, activities and services of Go! Sign and other Deaf Christian Organisations we think would be of interest to you.
- To carry out comprehensive safeguarding procedures (including due diligence and complaints handling) in accordance with best safeguarding practice from time to time with the aim of ensuring that all children and adults-at-risk of abuse or neglect are provided with safe environments. We do not hold any personal data of persons age 16 years or younger without their consent (where possible) and the consent of their parent or legal guardian.
- Our processing may include the taking of photographs, filming and live streaming of particular events for use in promotional or training events, and which may appear in promotional material or on our website / social media pages. Our website is accessible from overseas.
4. What is the lawful basis for processing your personal data?
The GDPR requires specification in the Privacy Notice of the lawful basis for processing personal data. Below are listed the lawful bases which are relevant for our processing activities.
- legitimate interests, or the legitimate interests of a third party
- compliance with a legal obligation
- performance of a contract, or to take steps to enter into a contract
- to protect a person’s vital interests
- where consent has been obtained
Religious organisations are also permitted to process information which reveal a person’s religious beliefs, to administer membership or contact details.
5. Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and we will only share your data with third parties outside of the organisation where it is necessary for the management of the Go!Sign organisation or with your consent. This may include advisers and contractors e.g. a commercial provider may send out newsletters on our behalf, maintenance of data software or other services such as pension and payroll.
6. How long do we keep your personal data1?
We keep your data for only as long as we need it. This means that we may delete your information if we no longer need it and only keep records where there is a legal requirement to do so. E.g. Gift Aid declarations and associated paperwork for up to 6 years after the calendar year to which they relate.
7. Your rights and your personal data
You have the following rights with respect to your personal details.
1. To access information we hold on you – you can contact us in writing at any time
2. To correct and update the information we hold on you.
3. To have your information erased - you can request deletion
4. To restrict the processing of your data – you can object to your data being used
5. To withdraw your consent, where consent was sought – this can be at any time
6. To object to the processing of personal data where applicable.
7. To lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
8. Transfer of Data abroad.
We do not foresee any circumstance where data would be transferred outside of the European Union. However, if this does occur, any electronic data transferred to countries or territories outside the EU will only be placed on systems complying with measures that give a similar level of protection of personal rights either through international agreements or contracts approved by the EU.
8. Further processing
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
9. Contact Details
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints please in the first instance contact the Data Controller, Go! Sign, 5 Lyndale Avenue, Southend on Sea, Essex SS2 4BY
Email: [email protected]
You can contact the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or at the Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF.
Revised June 2019